What is the best vegan burrito recipe? A tempeh burrito seasoned with delicious burrito spice mix, rice, and vegetables.
The secret is cooking the tempeh and turn it into vegan meat. It is a very simple recipe and a full dinner. So are you ready to learn how you can make this tempting vegan tempeh burritos? Let’s get started!
Have you ever cooked with tempeh? I know tempeh mostly from the Indonesia kitchen. Like tempeh sambal goreng which is a great condiment with rice recipes.
But there a way more options with tempeh. Tempeh can take on so many flavors. I have made tempeh that taste like Paella rice while I also made tempeh that tasted like taco meat.
So why not try a bit of both by preparing it like meat and eating it with rice and a lot of vegetables and create a delicious burrito?
If I prepare a vegetarian or vegan recipe it has to have a bite. That is why I like to add spicy flavors to my recipes.
The spicier the better and combine it with high texture vegetables like:
- bell peppers
- kidney beans
Tempeh is a great example of a food with a bite or food you can give a bite.
And it gets even better:
- It is made from soy and neutral in taste so it can easily take on any flavor you add.
- Further, it is a rich source of protein, high in vitamins and low fat. So a healthy ingredient to use.
This vegan burrito recipe is made for two but double the ingredients and you can feed a whole family of 4 of 5 people with these burritos.
Vegan burrito ingredients
To make this vegan burrito recipe you need quite a grocery list. So take a pen and paper or your phone and copy all the ingredients so do not forget what to get.
You need the following:
- Big size tortillas
- Bell pepper
- Red onion
- Chili powder
- Cumin powder
- Vegetable stock
- Vegetable oil
- Tomato puree
- Basmati rice
- Green beans
- Healthy guacamole
- Kidney beans
- Vegan cheese
How to make this vegan burrito recipe
To make vegan meat start with heating a skillet and add the tempeh and use a wooden spoon to take it apart.
Add finely chopped onion, garlic, and bell peppers and stir to combine.
Let the vegan meat simmer for about 15-20 minutes and you have some great flavored tempeh meat. While the vegan meat is simmering, cook the Basmati rice and boil green beans.
Then take two big spoons full of rice as a first layer. As a second layer it time to add the vegan meat and finish with cooked green beans on top.
Now to give it some extra bite add two spoons full of kidney beans before adding guacamole. Finally, complete this dish with a generous helping of vegan cheese before wrapping up the burritos.
When rolled into a burrito you can I also wrap the burrito in baking paper as it looks decorative and keeps the burrito together.
Cut in half and your meatless burritos are ready to serve.
Other vegan dinner recipes
If you like this vegan burrito recipe then you will love these other vegan recipes:
- Vegan Lentil Chili stew burrito – even more burritos this is a combination of burrito and stew
- Vegan fajitas – fajitas with white mushrooms and fleshy shredded oyster mushrooms and homemade fajitas seasoning.
- Falafel burger with pita taco – try this taco recipe you will be surprised
- Vegan vegetable double tortilla pizza – made with a tortilla. This is a super fast pizza recipe
See how to make vegan burritos
Do you want to see how you can make this vegan burrito recipe? Watch the instruction video below:
This is one tasty meatless burrito and you will not miss meat if you are not vegan or vegetarian. It looks like minced meat and closely tastes like minced meat.
I hope you enjoyed this tempting vegan burrito recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a meatless burrito, try this vegan burrito recipe with tempeh. It tastes super delicious and has lots of vegetables, rice and more.
- 2 big size tortillas
- 200 g of tempeh
- ½ bell pepper thinly sliced
- ½ red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ tsp chili powder (I use hot chili powder)
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tin of tomato puree (80 g)
- 1 cup of Basmati rice
- 200 g of green beans
- 1 cup of guacamole
- 1 small tin of kidney beans (80 g)
- ½ cup vegan cheese
- Heat a pan on high heat
- Add two tbsp of vegetable oil
- Put the red onion in the pan. Stir before adding the bell pepper
- Stir until soft and translucent
- Then add garlic
- Pull the tempeh apart and add to the pan
- Now it is time for the tomato puree. Stir
- Then add the chili powder and cumin and vegetable stock
- Let the tempeh simmer for 20 minutes
- Assemble the burrito and take a tortilla. First add the rice then the tempeh meat, green beans and kidney beans
- Then add guacamole and generous amount of vegan cheese
- Wrap the burrito and half the burrito
When you start preparing the tempeh meat cook the Basmati rice and cook the green beans.
Calories: 733; Fat: 29.3g; Carbs: 97.3g; Protein: 33.2g;