Have you ever cooked with tempeh? I know tempeh mostly from the Indonesia kitchen. Like tempeh sambal goreng. But there a way more options with tempeh. Tempeh can take on so many flavors. I have made tempeh that taste like Paella rice while I als made tempeh that tasted like taco meat. So why not try a bit of both by preparing it like meat and eating it with rice and a lot of vegetables? That is what I did and today we are making tempting vegan tempeh burrito. Do you want to know how you can make this tempting vegan tempeh burrito? Lets get started!
If I prepare something vegetarian or vegan it has to be something with a bite. That is why I like to add spicy flavors to my recipes. The spicier the better and combine it with high texture vegetables like mushrooms, bell peppers or kidney bean.
Tempeh is a great example of food with a bite or food you can give a bite. It is made from soy and neutral in taste so it can easily take on any flavor you add. Tempeh is a rich source of protein, high in vitamines and low fat.
When I make taco meat I add a number of ingredients like onion, garlic and bell peppers in a hot pan until they are soft and translucent. Then I add a number of spices like chili powder or hot sauce. I always you some tomato puree and some vegetable stock. To make tempeh meat I use the same ingredients. To start I take a tempeh block of about 200 grams apart. Then I use all the ingredients mentioned above and let the tempeh meat sauté with some vegetable stock. In less than 20 minutes you have some great flavored tempeh meat.
While the tempeh meat is simmering, cook some Basmati rice and boil some green beans. Make some healthy guacamole in less than 5 minutes and then start combining it into a burrito.
I use big flour tortillas to start with. Then I layer it with two big spoons full of rice. Second some tempeh meat with cooked grean beans on top. To give it some extra bite two spoons full of kidney beans before adding guacamole. Top it of with a generous helping of vegan cheese before wrapping up the burrito.
When wrapped into a burrito I also wrap it in parchment papier and cut the burrito in half. Server immediately.
Other vegan dinner recipes
If you like this vegan burrito recipe then you will love these other vegan recipes:
- Vegan Lentil Chili stew burrito – even more burritos this is a combination of burrito and stew
- Vegan fajitas – fajitas with white mushrooms and fleshy shredded oyster mushrooms and homemade fajitas seasoning.
- Falafel burger with pita taco – try this taco recipe you will be surprised
- Vegan vegetable double tortilla pizza – made with tortilla. This is a super fast pizza recipe
How to make tempting vegan tempeh burrito
This is one tasty meatless burrito and you will not miss meat if you are not vegan or vegetarian. It looks like minced meat and closely tastes like minced meat. Let me know what your favorite burrito is?
I hope you enjoyed this tempting vegan tempeh burrito recipe! Made a recipe then tag @thetortillachannel on Instragram.
Today we are making vegan meat with a bite. Do you want to know how you can make this tempting vegan tempeh burrito? Lets get started
- 2 big size tortillas
- 200 g of tempeh
- ½ bell pepper thinly sliced
- ½ red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ tsp chili powder (I use hot chili powder)
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1 cup of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tin of tomato puree (80 g)
- 1 cup of Basmati rice
- 200 g of green beans
- 1 cup of guacamole
- 1 small tin of kidney beans (80 g)
- ½ vegan cheese
- Heat a pan on high heat
- Add two tbsp of vegetable oil
- Put the red onion in the pan. Stir before adding the bell pepper
- Stir until soft and translucent
- Then add garlic
- Pull the tempeh apart and add to the pan
- Now it is time for the tomato puree. Stir
- Then add the chili powder and cumin and vegetable stock
- Let the tempeh simmer for 20 minutes
- Assemble the burrito and take a tortilla. First add the rice then the tempeh meat, green beans and kidney beans
- Then add some guacamole and generous amount of vegan cheese
- Wrap the burrito and half the burrito
When you start preparing the tempeh meat cook the Basmati rice and cook the green beans.
Calories: 733; Fat: 29.3g; Carbs: 97.3g; Protein: 33.2g;