How to make a wonderful vegan Turkish bread sandwich is what you can find here today.
Pide is great Turkish bread. With these ingredients shown you will an absolute wonderful vegan sandwich that you will love. Ready to learn how to make wonderful vegan Turkish bread sandwich? Let’s get started!
This recipe is all about the bread or pide ekmek. When I lived on the west side of Amsterdam you had a Turkish bakery on just about every street corner.
They sold all kind of bread from regular Turkish pide bread to Uzun pide which is a long pide bread, pide with ground beef and all sorts of buns.
When I was in elementary school we had a number of Turkish children in my class. They would always share the most delicious bread with us.
I can still remember how good these tasted, baked by the mommas. On birthday parties we would eat things I never had before.
One dish is even more delicious than the other. Turkish pide bread was always served.
When Turkish bread became widely available we would buy it in the store and eat them on the weekend. With bell pepper and cheese there was nothing more you need.
Now I also make it myself.
Turkish bread ingredients
To make these Turkish pide sandwiches you need a couple of ingredients that you can make or buy.
I made them but if you want to keep it simple just buy in the store. You need:
- Pide bread (1 loaf or 2 small pide buns)
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Arugula lettuce
- Bell pepper
How to make Turkish bread sandwiches
Pide is a great soft and fluffy bread. Instead of using a big bread in this recipe I made smaller pide bread buns.
It is really very easy to make Turkish pide bread buns yourself. Instead of making one big loaf of bread, divide the dough into four.
Roll the dough into four equal size buns and bake them the same way as you would the loaf.
If you have store-bought pide bread sprinkle it with water and bake them in the oven at 450℉/225℃ for 5 minutes.
Let them cool slightly and cut in half.
Now assemble the pide sandwich. This recipe requires hummus and homemade hummus is so delicious.
Made with chickpeas and a good food processor you can make it while the bread is in the oven. I love how the garlic adds a sharpness to the soft chickpeas as it combines into hummus.
Take a couple of tablespoons of hummus and spread it on the bread. Then add arugula lettuce on top of the hummus.
Slice avocado into thin slices. Put 3 to 4 slices of avocado on top of the arugula. Slice the bell pepper in super thin slices a la julienne and put the slices on the avocado.
To finish this sandwich top it off with sun-dried tomatoes and you are ready to serve.
More sandwich ingredient options
This recipe has a great bite but there are more ingredients that you can use on your pide sandwich, like:
- Rustic tapenade – either made with olives or tomato tapenade is great on this sandwich. Use it as a substitute for the hummus or on top of the hummus.
- Olives – slice the olives ultra thin and sprinkle on top of the hummus
- Guacamole – you just can’t go wrong with this healthy guacamole especially with hummus and tomatoes
- Sliced pickles – a common ingredient to use here in the Netherlands. Long sliced pickle is called Amsterdammers after my home town.
Other sandwich recipes
If you like this recipe you will love these:
- Turkish pide bread pizza – great pide recipe, showing you how you can easily turn a Turkish bread into a pizza. Be aware that this recipe contains meat and cheese. However, you can easily omit both.
- Pita taco – This recipe is made with pita bread and some delicious homemade falafel burger.
- Falafel with tortillas – more falafel as they taste great with tortillas
See how to make pide bread
As pide is the base of this recipe watch how to make Turkish pide bread in the video below. For this recipe divide the dough into four and bake as a bun.
Have fun with this Turkish bread recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Easy how to make a vegan Turkish bread sandwich made with fluffy pide and delicious ingredients like hummus and avocado. A great lunch recipe or a brunch.
- 2 mini pide bread
- 4 tbsp Hummus
- ⅓ bell pepper
- ½ avocado
- 1 cup of arugula lettuce
- 8-10 sun dried tomatoes
- Sprinkle bread with water and bake them in the oven at 450℉/225℃ for 5 minutes. Let them cool slightly and cut in half
- Take 2 tablespoons of hummus and spread it on the bread. Add arugula lettuce on top of the hummus
- Slice an avocado into thin slices. Put 3 to 4 slices of avocado on top of the arugula
- Slice the bell pepper in thin slices a la julienne and put the slices on the avocado.
- Add sun dried tomatoes on top of the bell pepper
- Ready to serve
Calories: 462; Fat: 20g; Carbs: 59.2g; Protein: 12.4g;