This Mexican bean soup with tortillas is savory, a little spicy, hearty and vegan. You can eat it as a full meal or for lunch. Try it!
Looking for a tasty soup recipe that doesn’t require all day to make? A soup with a bite without any meat or poultry? Then this is your recipe. Are you ready to see how you can make kidney bean soup? Let’s get started!
A lot of vegan recipes contain beans not without reason. Beans contain a lot of protein (24 grams per 100 grams), are low in fat (0,8 grams per 100 grams) and high in fiber.
They taste great and as such a great replacement for meat. This is one of the best soups ever.
What is great about this recipe is that you get a thick and filling soup that you can eat for lunch and easily for dinner.
Just add a little more vegetables, make some (cheesy) bread that you can eat on the side and you are done. Making soup yourself can be very easy.
When I was young we would eat soup on the weekend and a pan of soup would be on the stove all day long to infuse the soup with lots of flavors.
Well, those days are gone now. You can make soup in half an hour or less. The longer you leave it on though the better it tastes.
Make it today and eat it tomorrow, even better.
Mexican bean soup ingredients
This soup recipe is really simple as you need to sauté the vegetables and beans and leave on the stove to simmer.
To make this soup the following ingredients should be on your grocery shopping list:
- Kidney beans or black beans
- Two colored bell pepper
- Crushed tomatoes
- Oregano, parsley, cumin, and Chili powder
- Crunchy or regular corn
- Vegetable Broth
- Tortilla chips
How to make Mexican bean soup
Start by finely chopping the onion, garlic, and yellow and red peppers. Heat a skillet to medium hot and add olive oil.
Sauté the yellow, red peppers and onion first until soft and translucent. Then add the garlic and stir thoroughly.
Now it is time to add the tapenade, kidney beans, and lentils before adding the crushed tomatoes. The lentils give the soup a great structure.
Combine all the ingredients and add the spices at once. Finally, add the vegetable broth. Let the soup simmer between 20 to 30 minutes.
Just before taking the pan off the stove, add the corn and stir it in the soup. Decorate with some crunched tortilla chips and this easy Mexican bean soup recipe is ready to serve.
Soup side dishes
This soup is great on its own but you can make it even better if you add one of these side dishes or ingredients:
- Homemade tortilla chips – instead of buying tortilla chips you can make these nacho chips yourself
- No knead Mediterranean bread – this bread with olives and sun-dried tomatoes tastes great with any soup recipe
- Tapenade tortilla bread – This is one of my favorite bread. It contains cheese but you can easily omit it
- Turkish pide bread – another great bread to combine with this soup
- Vegan peanut salad – soup and salad a great combination especially if you serve this soup with vegan peanut salad
- Arepas – easy corn cakes bread recipe that you can eat with this soup
- Cheesy bread – make with garlic butter, parmesan and lots of Mozzarella cheese
Is this soup freezer friendly?
This vegan bean soup is very freezer friendly. Make the soup but without the corn out and tortilla chips.
Freeze it and you can keep it for at least 3 months in the freezer. When you want to eat it thaw it first.
Then put in a pot and slowly warm the soup.
The not let it cook but let it simmer so it can warm through. Put it on for 10 minutes and add the corn right at the last minute.
Can you make Mexican bean soup in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can make it as a slow cooker recipe or pressure cooker. If you make it in the slow cooker you can use the following settings:
- High – if you set it on HIGH put it on for 2 hours
- Low – if you set it to LOW then put your slow cooker to 4 hours.
Follow the instructions as mentioned above close the lid and turn on the slow cooker.
If you want to pressure cook again follow the instructions but then close the lid and put it to 15 minutes and your soup is done.
See how to make Mexican bean soup
Want to see how you can make this healthy Mexican bean tortilla soup with tortillas? Watch the instruction video to follow along.
See the step by step instruction of the recipe it is really easy to make.
Have fun with this easy Mexican bean soup recipe with tortilla chips!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a savory, slightly spicy and hearty soup? Try this Mexican bean soup with tortilla chips. It is vegan, easy to make and delicious. Try it!
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1 cup lentils
- ½ onion
- red and orange bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tapenade
- 1 tbsp oregano,
- 1 tbsp parsley,
- ½ tbsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder (hot)
- ½ cup corn
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Tortilla chips to decorate
- Sauté the vegetables onion, bell peppers and garlic in olive oil until soft
- Add the tapenade and stir
- The add the beans before adding the crushed tomatoes
- Stir before adding all the spices at once
- Finally add the vegetable broth
- Let the soup simmer between 20 to 30 minutes.
- Just before taking the pan of the stove add the crunchy corn and stir it in the soup
- Decorate with some crunched tortilla chips
Calories: 511; Fat: 17.5g; Carb: 70.2g; Protein: 23g;