These vegan tostadas are a great lunch recipe. Tostadas are very versatile and adapt to what you like most. Combine flavors that you love and you get a heavenly lunch dish!
To give this vegan recipe the bite it needs you can add a lot of vegetables and some great guacamole and salsa. Want to know how you can make this simple but nutritious vegan crunchy tortilla tostada? Lets get started!
Tostada is made from flour tortillas and they are like a big sandwich. Just like with a sandwich you can decorate them any way you like.
First it is important to get them crunchy. You can get them crunchy with a couple of methods
- Pan fry – You can fry the tortillas in hot oil for a couple of minutes. When fried in oil the tortilla holds a lot of fat so make sure you let all the excess oil drain in paper towels.
- Microwave – You can put them in the microwave between paper towels heat them on full volume for about 1 minute than repeat with top towel removed.
- Oven baked – The method I prefer is using cooking spray or oil brushed on both sides of the tortilla and let them get crunchy in the oven.
Vegan tostada ingredients
If you want to make this tostada recipe make certain to put the following ingredient on your grocery list:
- Flour tortillas
- Brown beans
- Vegetable oil
- Paprika powder
- Cumin powder
- Smooth roasted tomato salsa
- Iceberg lettuce
How to make vegan tostada
Just like with the crunchy tortilla tostada with tuna I have used mashed brown beans on this tostada as well. It is a great base to start with, as it is savory and tasty.
To make mashed brown beans start with frying onions, paprika and cumin. If you like you can include garlic and chili peppers.
Add about a cup of water and let the brown beans for about 10 to 15 minutes. Take the brown beans of the heat. Secure about 15 to 20brown beans so you can decorate the tostada.
Then transfer the remaining brown beans into a bowl and mash the brown beans with at fork. The mashed brown beans are the first layer of the tostadas.
For this vegan version of the tostada I have the following toppings:
See how to make vegan crunchy tortilla tostada
Want to see how to make vegan crunchy tortilla tostada? Follow along and watch the instruction video below:
Simple and delicious recipe! What is your favorite tostada?
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Tostadas are very versatile and adapt to what you like most. So we are making vegan crunchy tortilla tostada. Lets get started!
- Make some guacamole
- Make some smooth roasted tomato salsa
- Heat a small pan with 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- First add the onion and fry them until soft and transparent. This takes about 3 minutes
- Then add the brown beans, the paprika and then the cumin and stir through before adding the cup of water
- Let the beans get to the boil
- Stir and reduce the heat to medium to let the brown beans simmer for about 10-15 minutes
- Take the beans of the heat. Drain the brown beans preserving about 15-20 brown beans for decorating and transfer to a bowl
- Mash the brown beans
- Preheat the oven at 350℉/175℃
- Spray the tortillas with cooking spray or vegetable oil on both sides
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes (turn at about 5 minutes in the oven).
- Start plating the tostada and start with mashed brown beans
- Then the smooth roasted tomato salsa before adding a large portion of the guacamole
- Decorate with corn, lettuce and brown beans
- Ready to serve
The preparation time is without the time it takes to make the smooth roasted tomato salsa and also not include the time to prepare the guacamole.
Calories: 480; Fat: 24.8g; Carbs: 59g; Protein: 9g;