Vegan fajitas are a great recipe whether you do or do not eat meat. With this recipe you do not miss meat. By using the right type of mushrooms and the best spices you will get a great fajitas recipe. Ready to learn how to make the best vegan fajitas you can make in no time? Lets get started!
On the Tortilla Channel you can find a ton of recipes already and one of the populair type of recipes are the fajitas. Especially for meat lovers they can find a number of recipes to make fajitas. However I haven’t done any vegan fajitas recipes so it is about time to share one with you and I promise no beans included in this one.
It is easy to go and make a vegan recipe and add beans but in this recipe I omitted the beans for once. I wanted to make a fast recipe with lots of taste. The result is a fajita recipe with one of my favorite ingredients to use when making a vegetable recipe and that is the oyster mushrooms.
I love the texture of this mushroom and fun fact is that you can shred them. The have a fleshy texture and will give the recipe a great bite. This recipe is done in no time. In less than 25 minutes you can get this dish on the table.
Vegan fajitas ingredients
To make these vegan fajitas you need an extensive list of ingredient so make sure you include these ingredients on your shopping list:
- Small fajitas tortillas
- Oyster mushroom
- White mushroom
- White onion
- Red onion
- Bell pepper
- Homemade fajitas seasoning
- Olive oil
How to make vegan mushroom fajitas
This vegan fajitas recipe is really simple and done in less than 20 minutes. So how do we make these fajitas? Finely dice the onions, bell peppers and garlic. Cut the white mushrooms in thin slices and shred the oyster mushrooms in small strips.
Then start with heating a cast iron skillet and warm to medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet. Pan fry the onions and diced bell peppers first until soft before you add the garlic.
Now add the white mushrooms and stir with the onion mix. When the mushrooms are covered by the onion mix add the shredded oyster mushrooms. Stir thoroughly through the onion mushroom mix in the skillet.
To give this vegan fajitas taste add homemade fajitas seasoning. The best fajitas seasoning you can make yourself. If you have all the ingredients it is just a matter of measuring them and combining the seasoning mix. This makes all the difference believe me.
Let the mushroom simmer for 5 minutes in the cast iron skillet on medium to high heat. You do not need to add any water or stock because there is enough water in the mushroom. Make sure that you let the liquid evaporate.
Take another pan and char the tortillas to give this fajitas recipe extra flavor. I’m tempted to say it makes all the difference twice in two sentences but it really does (believe me).
Fill the fajitas tortillas with the mushroom mix and decorate with some parsley or fresh chives. Ready to serve.
This recipe is made with oyster mushrooms and white mushrooms but you can also make them with:
- Chanterelle – this yellow golden mushroom has a similar look and feel to oyster mushroom. You can shred them as well or use dried chanterelle. Chanterelle are widely availably in Europe but also in the United States.
- Shiitake – the have the shape of an umbrella and are commonly used fresh and dry. The fresh shiitakes have a light woodsy flavor while the dried shiitake mushrooms have more intense woodsy flavor.
- Portobello – a big fleshy type mushroom. Can be as big as the size of your hand. The young portobellos are smaller and are called criminis
- Chestnut mushrooms – similar taste to white mushrooms but with a more decorative look then the white variety
Other vegan dinner recipes
If you like this vegan fajitas recipe then you will love these other vegan recipes:
- Tempeh burrito – super delicious burrito recipe with tempeh and vegetables and rice
- Falafel burger with pita taco – try this taco recipe you will be surprised
- Vegan vegetable double tortilla pizza – made with tortilla. This is a super fast pizza recipe
- Vegan Lentil Chili stew burrito – even more burritos this is a combination of burrito and stew
See how you can make vegan fajitas
Want to see how you can make vegan fajitas? Watch the instruction video below:
Have fun with this vegan mushroom fajitas recipe! Made a recipe tag @thetortillachannel on Instagram or PIN on Pinterest.
Vegan fajitas with white mushrooms and fleshy shredded oyster mushrooms with a fleshy bite. Seasoned with homemade fajitas seasoning.
- 4-6 small fajitas tortillas
- 300 gram oyster mushroom
- 100 gram mushroom
- 1 white onion
- ½ red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ bell pepper
- 2 tbsp fajitas seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Parsley to decorate
Heat a skillet and warm 2 tbsp olive oil. Pan fry the onions and diced bell peppers until soft then add the garlic
Now add the white mushrooms and stir with the onion mix
Then it shredd the oystermushrooms and stir thoroughly in the skillet
Add the fajitas seasoning and add half of the water
Let it cook for 5 minutes
Warm the fajitas tortillas in a separate skillet
Fill the fajitas tortillas with the mushroom mix and decorate with some parsley or fresh chives
Calories: 287; Fat: 6.1g; Carbs: 39.9g; Protein: 17.2g;