Yufka Turkish flatbread or Turkish bread is a delicious side dish!
You can eat it as regular bread. Today we show you that this delightful Turkish bread is an irresistible tortilla. Are you ready to learn how to make easy Turkish yufka bread? Let’s get started!
Yufka is the perfect example that certain recipes are made all over the world. It is the Turkish version of a tortilla but also flatbread.
It is elastic and pliable. The wrap is so versatile you just have to love it. What makes or breaks a tortilla is the elasticity of the dough.
If you want soft pliable tortilla you have to have a very elastic dough. Further, you need to give the gluten in the flour, time to activate.
The only way to do this let the dough rest. Then you need to knead the dough again before you start cooking the tortillas.
The second most important thing to consider is the heat for your pan. A good tortilla will puff up in the pan but only if it is hot enough.
So if you are using a skillet or frying pan make sure the pan is hot enough before you brush some oil in the pan and cook your Turkish bread tortilla.
Yufka Turkish flatbread tortilla ingredients
These are the basic ingredients for the yufka recipe that you have to take home from the store:
- Olive oil
Yes, yufka is that basic and has the same ingredients as flour tortillas that we know so well from Mexico.
How to make yufka Turkish bread tortilla
To make this recipe you start with the yufka dough. You can make the dough by hand or in a food processor.
If you make it in the food processor the dough is done in under a minute. By hand will take more time as you have to knead the ingredients into an elastic dough.
Start with the flour and salt and pulse it a couple of times in the food processor.
Then add the olive oil in the flour and turn the food processor back on. Gradually pour warm water into the food processor until the flour turns into a ball.
Take the dough ball out the food processor onto a floured board and knead it by hand for about 1 minute.
Then wrap the yufka dough in cling film and let it rest at least 30 minutes more if you have time.
You can also make the dough the night before and leave it in the refrigerator to rest and have it ready when you want to make the tortillas.
Then cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll the first piece into a tortilla shape. In the meanwhile heat your skillet and brush it with some vegetable oil.
When your pan is hot put the flatbread tortilla in the pan. The tortilla will puff up. Leave for about 1 minute and check to see dark spots on the tortilla.
Turn and cook the other side for another minute. Keep warm under a clean kitchen cloth and you are ready to serve.
Store and make-ahead tips
If you made more yufka flatbreads than you are eating or made the yufka ahead you can do the following to store:
- If you are going to eat the yufka within 24 hours just store them in a zip-lock plastic bag at room temperature.
- Want to store the yufka flatbread tortilla for a longer period put the plastic bag in the freezer. You can store them for at least two months.
Reheat the yufka shortly in your skillet to warm them again one by one. You can also wrap the yufka in some aluminum foil and heat them at 400℉/200℃ for 5 minutes or until warm.
Eat Turkish bread with
There are so many ways you can eat this Turkish bread. Eat it with recipes like:
- Shawarma – you can eat yufka as pita bread with this delicious shawarma
- Flatbread pizza – you can use yufka as the base for a flatbread pizza
- Avocado salmon wrap – yufka is the perfect wrap on the go just add baked salmon and avocado
- BBQ chicken burger – instead of a bun you can use a tortilla to wrap your burger
See how to make yufka Turkish bread
Want to see how you can make easy Turkish bread? Watch the instruction video so you can follow along and make this delicious yufka at home.
You will be surprised how easy it is to make this flatbread yourself.
Have fun with this easy how-to make yufka Turkish flatbread recipe!
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE TORTILLA CHANNEL NEWSLETTER FOR FREE TO RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS INTO YOUR INBOX!
Looking for a Turkish bread recipe? Try this easy yufka Turkish flatbread tortilla. It is easy to make. This Turkish flatbread tortilla is irresistable!
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil more for brushing the pan
- 1⅔ cup water
- Put flour and salt in food processor and whisk. Then add the olive oil in the flour and gradually pour warm water into the food processor until the flour turns into a ball
- Take the dough ball out on a floured board and knead it by hand for about 1 minute
- Wrap dough in cling film and let it rest at least 30 minutes
- Cut the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll into a tortilla shape.
- Pre heat skillet and brush it with oil. When your pan is hot put the flatbread tortilla in the pan
- Leave the yufka for about 1 minute and check to see dark spots on the tortilla. Then turn and cook the other side for another minute
You can even make the dough the night before and leave it in the refrigerator.
Calories: 192; Fat: 5.1g; Carbs: 31.8g; Protein: 4.3g